2009/07/03

Savage Cinema



SAVAGE STREETS - Where the only rule is "an eye for an eye."

Living near Kensington, during my walks around, I'm subjected to many, many event posters advertising everything from big-budget European DJ tours to private OR group Tango lessons. The other day, I spied a poster that stood out from the rest. Maybe it was the softness of the airbrush style illustration contrasting with the harsh sharp edged party bus graphics surrounding it, or maybe it was the image itself, which included a city's skyline, cleavage, latex, and impossible weaponry. I moved in a little closer to discover that the poster's purpose was to announce a screening of the 1984 exploitation/revenge movie "Savage Streets" staring Linda Blair at the Plaza theatre.

"Yes!"

Phone call from friend. "Wanna go?"

"Yes!"

From the moment we sat down to view this mess on film (with original trailers and distorted sound), I knew I was in for a treat. As expected, my reactions to the film varied from funny disgust to disgusted disgust, and everything in between. I can't say that I'd recommend this film to anyone unfamiliar with the sub-genre, however, the experience of sitting in an old independent theatre and viewing mind-numbing garbage the old analog way was fantastic.

*Note: From what I understand, this event, which I hope is recurring, was put on by a mysterious new Calgary video store called "Burning Moon", which specializes in cult horror films.


No comments:

Post a Comment