2009/08/30

Vancouver Art Experience

This last week I packed up my summer school supplies and headed off to my second hometown, Vancouver, for a quick trip. Aside from a few foul food experiences, the odd skunk spotting and a handful of bizarre transit run-ins, the trip went off without a hitch. Along with the Sea Wall and cheap sushi restaurants, one of the must-stop spots is the Vancouver Art Gallery. I spent $15 and an entire afternoon being inspired and completely awestruck by the three visiting exhibits showing this summer season.

Thanks to a loan from the Rijksmuseum I was treated to a large handful of works from the Golden Age of Dutch oil painting, featuring the likes of Vermeer and Rembrandt. Without a brush stroke in sight these painting masters crafted flawless portraits, dreamy landscapes, and still life scenes that provide the perfect snapshot of Dutch decay.


Next up, I was able to travel through home decor of the ages as I explored 'Ought Apartments', a massive Reece Terris instillation. Terris recreated complete living spaces, bathrooms and storage included, from the 50's to now, by erecting a six story structure to highlight each decade. No detail was spared, from the choice of tile to the magazines and wall hangings, this instillation left me with plenty to feast my eyes on.


Finally, just when I thought my eyes had had enough, I made it to the top floor and came across the most interesting photography of Anthony Hernandez. His candid view of 70's and 80's L.A at its most decadent with a Beverly Hills series, and most honest with streetscape and bus stop snap shots, ended my museum day on the perfect note.


No comments:

Post a Comment